httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marty Landman <MLand...@face2interface.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] help for installing Apache.
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:46:07 GMT
At 07:08 PM 2/18/2004, Jiang, Jing wrote:
>Is there any standard or steps to check if apache server is set up correctly?

You should be able to browse to http://127.0.0.1/ and get the standard
welcome page. Also http://127.0.0.1/manual should give you the locally
installed apache manual, a very handy feature which tbh I am just beginning
to appreciate. Also your error log should look clean, i.e. when starting
the server there should be some messages and nothing that says there's a
problem.

>I don't have any error_log at logs directory.

Jing, my guess is that either you're not looking in the right place, or the
install didn't work.

>I am on Solaris 8.

I'm not familiar with that particular machine, but have 4 servers running
here all on i386's and as an example, on my Red Hat 9/Apache 1.3.29 the
logs directory is at /usr/local/apache/logs and contains these three files:

access_log
error_log
httpd.pid

Hope this helps. If you can't find these files, maybe (as root) do

# find / -name httpd.pid

and post back the results of an ls -al on that directory.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners