httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Accessing a virtual host on a *nix based apache server from an XPbox
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:08:23 GMT
Camner wrote:

> <VirtualHost lbppdocs>
> Then, in my hosts file on the *nix box, I have an entry 127.0.0.1 lbppdocs
>
> This allows me to access the virtual host directory specified above.  I can
> access it from a browser on my *nix box by
> [URL=http://lbppdocs]http://lbppdocs[/URL]
>
> On my XP box, I added the line 192.168.1.103 (the local address of the *nix
> box) to the hosts file, but from a browser on the XP box, surfing to
> [URL=http://lbppdocs]http://lbppdocs[/URL] takes me  to the root directory
> on the apache server box, not the directory specified by the Directory entry
> in the httpd.conf file.

That line above is your problem.  The argument after VirtualHost tells
Apache which interface the following vhost directives will apply to.  By
setting it to "lbppdocs" you're implicitly setting it to "127.0.0.1",
which therefore means that the vhost container will apply to requests
coming in on localhost only, and not from the network.  Just use
"<VirtualHost *>" or "<VirtualHost *:80>" unless you have some specific
need otherwise.

Brian