httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron W Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache administration application
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:58:33 GMT
Breheny, Paul wrote:

> I am trying to find a tool for administering and configuring all of our
> Apache servers in dev/test/prod. The following requirements are necessary:
> *        GUI
> *        Ability to handle multiple applications per environment
> *        SSL management - alert when certs expire
> *        Server performance provisioning - allocate resources to the server
> that needs it most
> *        Must work with Apache installs on Solaris
> *        Ability to administer all hosts from the same app
> *        Ability to configure all hosts from the same app
> *        Ability to tie in to Openview
> *        Reporting on site usage
> *        Low cost - good value for the dollars spent
> *        Central management point - Can use same tool from anywhere. Either,
> it does not require an install on each individual's computer or, if it must
> be installed on all computers, central storage.
> *        Role based activities - admin vs. power user vs. user
>
> I have looked at Apache Commander, but it does not have reporting, user
> roles, dynamic provisioning. Apache Conf does not have those either. Mohawk
> looks promising, but the company is no longer around. I have not found any
> other tools on the web that meet all the criteria. Does anyone know of a
> tool that does all the above?
>
> Paul Breheny

You are probably not going to find anything.  IBM HTTP Server 1 (based
on Apache 1.3) might have some of the functionality you want.  Sun's
distro of Apache might have something.

Generally, you're not going to find the specific features you want with
a free product like Apache (frankly, I would not trust it even if you
did ;-) ).  That's the reason proprietary web servers like Netscape
Enterprise Server (now called SunONE web server, I think) exist.