httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] www issue
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:51:05 GMT
Steven Pierce wrote:

> I am not new to the group, but I am a newbie to Apache.  I have a server
> (not public yet) that I am starting to set up.  I have set up a web
> address (Domain I own) and trying to get it working locally before
> I open it up to the world.
>
> When I set up the Apache server (Using Linux interface) I tell it
> that it is www, but it will only answer to http://localhost/pagedeveloper.

This is probably a DNS problem.  Apache has nothing to do with how a
name resolves to an IP address.  If you enter "something.example.com"
into your browser, then a call is made to the system's resolver to get
the IP address of that hostname.  It doesn't matter whether or not
Apache has been told that its ServerName is "something.example.com" --
if there's no such name in DNS or in /etc/hosts then the page won't
display.

If you want to test your domain before it's resolvable with the public
DNS, then just add the hostnames to /etc/hosts for the 127.0.0.1 IP
address, e.g.:

127.0.0.1	localhost something.example.com www.something.example.com

Brian