httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] *.shtml or *.html
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:53:41 GMT
Ben Crane wrote:

> Mmm...I'm going to use both SSI and CSS so it would be
> useful to work out what kind of load I'm putting on
> the server if the hits go up...

As the other person said I highly doubt you'd be able to measure any
performance difference.  It's only really going to matter for very busy
servers.  However, I wouldn't write off the caching issue.  I had a page
that was about around 120kB of HTML, and I used SSI for a simple hit
counter and a few other tricks.  When this page became popular I very
quickly began to run out of bandwidth.  Switching it to a static HTML
page without any SSI instantly reduced my bandwith use by around 20% -
40%, by very rough estimate.  This is due to the fact that every user
that had ever been to that page previsouly only needed a 304 response (a
few dozen bytes) instead of all 120kB every time they refreshed or
returned to that page.  The downside of course was that I lost those
useful features of SSI.

Brian