httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Moon <bri...@dealnews.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_conn.c
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:31:50 GMT
http://programmer.lib.sjtu.edu.cn/apache/mod_conn.c

Does anyone on the list use mod_conn.c?  If so, does it work?  I have
been trying to prove to myself that this thing works all day and can not
tell that it does anything.  I have enabled it and ran apachebench on
the server, but it does not appear to deny the requests.  I can see that
it puts an entry in its file for the IP that is requesting.  I tried
enabling __DEBUG__ in the module and watching the log of messages, but
nothing past the init stage was logged.

We have been having issues where one of our web servers will get loaded
and remove itself from the cluster.  A glance through the logs shows
that we have been getting massive amounts of requests from a single IP.
  Most of these have been 404's as they were IIS attack attempts.  We
block them at the load balancer after we see them.  Also, the load
balancer is configured to deliver the same IP to the same server over
short amounts of time.  This is all good, but we would like to keep the
slamming from ever happening.  I like this solution (mod_conn) because
in theory it simply does what I want.  I have looked at mod_throttle,
but it has so much more than I want.  I like to keep as slim of a server
process as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Brian Moon, dealnews.com, Inc.
dealnews.com  News on computer hardware bargains