httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Collins <li...@ActionBusinessSystems.com>
Subject [users@httpd] UserDir & DocumentRoot
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 05:23:17 GMT
I'm configuring Apache 1.3 on RH 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.7. to be accessible
on the intranet.  I can access the default index.html with
http://10.0.69.90/
However, I can not access the user's pages at /home/~mcollins/www/index.html
with http://10.0.69.90/~mcollins/
The error message is:
Forbidden, You don't have permission to access /~mcollins/ on this server.

In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
I have :
ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
UserDir   /home/*/www
<Directory /home/*/www>
	Options All
</Directory>

I set:
chmod 755 www
chmod 755 index.html

Does the UserDir directive not need double quotes?
Am I forced to set DocumentRoot to /home/ , if I want to access the
user's files under /home/?
Should it work to ln /home/ /var/www/html/ , and set UserDir to
/var/www/html/*/www ?