httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Greetings!
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 10:13:26 GMT
fox mulder wrote:

> Just a real simple question. I installed Apache 2.0 on
> Win XP. Got it Running. I am able to pull up Local
> Host. I have Registered a domain (let's say
> www.mydomain.com) How do I use Apache to associate
> that domain to my machine? (so that users accessing
> www.mydomain.com would hit my local index.html. Once
> Getting the server started, the docs don't make it
> clear on what to do. I read about aliases and such but
> I dont think thats whats being used.

That's because it's not a function of Apache.  The system you're
referring to is DNS, the domain name system.  This is what maps a domain
name to an IP address.  You need to go to whomever you registered your
domain with, and see about adding one or more "A" records to the DNS
servers for that domain.  For example, if your Apache machine was
listening on 1.2.3.4 then change the A record for mydomain.com to point
to 1.2.3.4, and add either a CNAME or additional A record for
www.mydomain.com as well.

The domain names that you put into Apache's config file only tell it
what kind of queries to expect.  The part of the system that causes
"domain.example.com" to actually resolve to an IP address is completely
out of Apache's control.

Brian