httpd-users mailing list archives

From Damian Meyer <apa...@damianmeyer.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] combining mod_rewrite and mod_vhost_alias
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:47:12 GMT

Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Damian Meyer wrote:
>

>>However, when it comes to CGI scripts, there seems to be no way to use
>>suEXEC to wrap these to run as the actual user, not the nobody user.
>>I've looked at cgiwrap and mod_cgiwrap which seems to be part way
>>there.  However the DOCUMENT_ROOT is not correct.  So to my question: is
>>there any way to modify the DOCUMENT_ROOT variable within mod_rewrite in
>>httpd.conf?   I suspect the answer is no, but thought I would ask.
>>

>You suspect correctly.  The answer is no.
>
>The main reason is that DOCUMENT_ROOT is not a variable that should be
>used.  It does not take into account Aliases, RewriteRules, etc, and
>therefore is unreliable.
>
>But I don't see why you need to use DOCUMENT_ROOT anyway.  I'm not a
>cgiwrap expert, but it doesn't really seem to be required.

cgiwrap works by either having the username to wrap the cgi passed as an
argument on the extra path info, or by getting the user that owns the
DOCUMENT_ROOT as the user to exec the cgi under.  Tied in with
mod_cgiwrap that automates this and the second option, the user that
owns the DOCUMENT_ROOT becomes important.  Unfortunately this clashes
with the mod_rewrite way of doing dynamic virtual hosts.

It's time I think to dive under the hood of these and hack something,
despite my very rusty C programming skills I think.

Just as an aside, Apache really needs an industrial strength dynamic
virtual host module that deals with multiple server aliases and with
wrapping cgis as the user.  If mod_vhost_alias had some rewrite
capabilities or conditional rule selection, and a way of tying in with
suEXEC, then that would be ideal.  I suspect a lot of large ISPs have
internal solutions to these problems, although I can't find anything
released back to the community that does it.

Rgds
Damian