httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] chunked http response
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:27:16 GMT
Jason Jesso wrote:

> I wrote a program that sends an HTTP message to a web server and gets
> the response.  The web server is the apache http server.
>
> One particluar response is "chunked" transfer encoding on a SSL
> connection.   What I am finding is that I am getting all the content
> (i.e. chunks), but the last "0" sized chunk to denote the end 20 - 22
> seconds later.
>
> I tried using non-blocking sockets also to see if the data was getting
> buffered, but not the case.
>
> So, I get all the chunks pretty fast and then the web server sends the
> "0", 20 secs later.  Why the delay?

It's related to keep-alive handling, I'd guess.  You should send
"Connection: close" in your request if you don't plan to do more than a
single request for the connection.  Otherwise, the server sends the
response and then waits for another request.  Normally, without SSL,
that would mean that you receive the last chunk immediately after all
the others and then the server waits.  It looks like with SSL the last
chunk isn't sent until the connection times out and is closed by the
server.  The SSL layer probably buffers the data, and is waiting for a
certain buffer size to fill before sending each segment/message.

You could also indicate in your request that you don't want chunked
encoding, but I forget the header to use for that.  It's probably
"Accept-Encoding:".

Brian