httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Finding out specifics about each httpd process..
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:06:41 GMT
Bill Leonard wrote:

> The server has all of a sudden began slowing down due to an extreme load
> from somewhere... I have determined it is the web server traffic/load which
> is causing the slowdown (non-scientific test of stopping Apache, running
> some tests, and then restarting).
>
> My question: how can I find out the source of the traffic for each httpd
> process? With separate log files and hundreds of hosts, it would seem maybe
> there's a better way that searching each log file. My goal is to find out
> the destination/trouble user and "adjust" their access.

Enable/load mod_status, set ExtendedStatus On, and then visit the
server-status url.  You'll probably want to limit access to it in some
way.  Example:

LoadModule status_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_status.so

<IfModule mod_status.c>
    ExtendedStatus On
    <Location /server-status>
        SetHandler server-status
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.1 your.ip.address.here
    </Location>
</IfModule>

Brian