httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Sternbergh, Cornell" <rsternb...@state.pa.us>
Subject [users@httpd] Is Apache that difficult to run...
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:31:29 GMT
Hi

I've not yet started working with Apache, I've used IIS and PWS on the
M$ platforms with VBScript ASP for my personal site.  I'm moving my site
to an Apache based host who advertised as ASP enabled, but it turns out
that it's Perl, not VBScript.  So, I've decided to redo my site in Java.
I'm looking at using platform independent web and app servers, notably
Apache and Websphere for my development space (with Eclipse as the JDT).

I've been on this list for a little bit, watching all the questions that
come up and am wondering...  Is Apache that difficult to run, or are all
of these problems coming from folks .... Pushing the envelope, as it
were?  I'll not be administering the servers upon which my site resides,
just one in my development environment, which may be on Linux or Win2K,
or both.

I'm not particularly new to websites or Java; at work, I current support
a relatively complex system, with PowerBuilder inhouse GUI apps,
mainframe COBOL backend, with a Java website developed on VAJ and run on
Domino (as a web server) and Websphere app server.