httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie mode running question
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:33:01 GMT
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:22:45 +0100, Angel Gordo Crespo wrote:

>  At the moment this running in prefork, but I have seen other ways
>  (to worker, perchild... etc).  As it would be better?.

Note: The answer below is taken from memory, and it was a while since I read up on worker
an prefork, so if anyone thinks I'm mistaken please correct me.

Wich way is best (when considering use of resources) depends a lot on your OS and libraries.

If the OS isn't very good at distributing threads between the two CPUs, prefork is is probably
better as it still should be able to distribute processes between them. If the system libraries
(or other libraries httpd is using) have stability problems with threads, prefork can be a
lot better. Prefork also put's in more isolation between the children, so the risk that bugs
in the code (either Apache itself or thrid party libraries/modules) effects the http server
in general should be less with prefork than with worker.

If the OS is good at distributing threads and it's libraries are thread safe, worker result
in a more resource efficient system.

perchild is rather different. AFAIK it's still experimental (please correct me anyone if I'm
wrong) in Apache 2. It's also not meant for all servers, as most servers won't need the extra
options perchild gives.

More info about this can be found at:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Regards