httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick <n...@finiteautomata.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Weird Server Side Includes and HTML issues
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:28:35 GMT
I am running HP-UX_Apache-based_Web_Server/2.0.45 and on another machine a RedHat install of
Apache/2.0.46.  We are experiencing a strange problem when Server Side Includes are called
on the HP 2.0.45 box.  The RH 2.0.46 box is used for a few things, one thing it is used for
is as an internal box that allows our company to see their pages before they are mirrored
to our live servers (the HP 2.0.45 boxes).

When we view an HTML page on the 2.0.46 box we see the includes just fine but when we view
them on the 2.0.46 box they sometimes do not work.  They display an error on the HTML page
stating...

We found that removing the blank lines in the HTML surrounding the include statement corrects
the issue.  So if the include looks like this
 td valign="top">

         <!--#include virtual="/includes/features/multimediafeature.shtml" -->

          <!--#include virtual="/includes/tickers/multimedia.htm" -->

We can remove the blank lines surrounding the include so it reads...
td valign="top">
         <!--#include virtual="/includes/features/multimediafeature.shtml" -->
          <!--#include virtual="/includes/tickers/multimedia.htm" -->

This corrects the issue but we don't see this issue when the code isn't altered on the 2.0.46
Server.  Is there some in the 2.0.45 version that could be causing our problems or is there
a config change that needs to be made that I am not aware of.  We do not see these problems
very often but once in a while we see them.

Does anybody have any clue as to why this would occur?

Thanks,
Nick