httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Setting PHP Include Links in htaccess file
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:44:45 GMT
I've been using PHP includes on my website. This is
what some of the links looks like:

<?php include ("includes/top.php"); ?>
<?php include ("../includes/top.php"); ?>
<?php include ("../../includes/top.php"); ?>
<?php include ("../../includes/top.php"); ?>

I wanted to replace the ../ sequences with a variable,
so that I could post the exact same link on every
page, and it will work. I received these instructions:

put this in the .htaccess:
PHP:

php_value include_path .;C:/sites/freedomware/includes

You wont even need to use "includes" in the include
call:
PHP:

include ("top.php");

On a *nix based host you'd want to use a colon instead
of a semi-colon after the period wich comes after
"include_path" in the .htaccess file.

So I tried it. I found the htaccess file at
C:/xampp/webdav/htaccess. I opened it with Notepad,
and this is all it said:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "XAMPP with WEBDAV for DREAMWEAVER"
C:/xampprequire valid-user
AuthUserfile C:/xampp/webdav/.htpasswd

I added the line I was given, changing it to this:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "XAMPP with WEBDAV for DREAMWEAVER"
C:/xampprequire valid-user
AuthUserfile C:/xampp/webdav/.htpasswd
php_value include_path .;C:/sites/freedomware/includes

Then I restarted my computer, opened one of my pages
and replaced...

<?php include ("../includes/top.php"); ?>

with...

include ("top.php");

But that didn't work. (When I preview my page, I see
"include ("top.php");" at the top.)

I also tried this:

<?php include ("top.php"); ?>

When I do that, I get this error message:

Warning: main(top.php): failed to open stream: No such
file or directory in
C:\sites\freedomware\world\index.php on line 21

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'top.php' for
inclusion (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\pear\') in
C:\sites\freedomware\world\index.php on line 21

However, the rest of the page previews fine. But when
I change it to this...
PHP:

<?php includes ("top.php"); ?>

...the entire page goes blank, except for this error
message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: includes() in
C:\sites\freedomware\world\index.php on line 21

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track, and what
I have to do to make this work?

I also have a question regarding these instructions:

"On a *nix based host you'd want to use a colon
instead of a semi-colon after the period wich comes
after "include_path" in the .htaccess file."

If I'm working on Windows, but my websites are hosted
on a Linux server, can I make TWO htaccess files - one
that lets me preview my pages on my computer, and a
second htaccess that replaces...

php_value include_path .;C:/sites/freedomware/includes

with...

php_value include_path .:C:/sites/freedomware/includes

Then can I publish this second htaccess file to the
Internet so my online websites will work?

Finally, if I want to do this with several websites,
would I just add multiple lines to my htaccess file,
like this?:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "XAMPP with WEBDAV for DREAMWEAVER"
C:/xampprequire valid-user
AuthUserfile C:/xampp/webdav/.htpasswd
php_value include_path .;C:/sites/freedomware/includes
php_value include_path .;C:/sites/animals/includes
php_value include_path .;C:/sites/geobop/includes
php_value include_path .;C:/sites/geoworld/includes

Thanks.