httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben Crane <crane...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] *.shtml or *.html
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:10:13 GMT
Hi all,

I've been reading a variety of sources on whether you
rename your HTML pages that include SSI's *.shtml or
*.html. I understand the server will be processing
every page (either *.shtml or *.html) and that will
place a load on the server, so much so that I've read
that you must only specify pages that have SSI with a
*.shtml to avoid all your pages being parsed.

But...I have a site where I've got a set Navigation
bar/header bar that I to include it using SSI in my
webpages...the site is small only 10-20 pages, but it
has the potential to grow. But since every page will
have the header/nav bar I will need to parse every
single page...which as advice stands isn't suitable.

Is there any way of getting the server to check the
modified date of the file to see whether it needs to
be re-cached or not and thus avoid parsing every page
over and over again?

Are there any solutions that would allow SSI to be
used efefctively without having all my pages renamed
to *.shtml and parsed.

Thank you,
Ben Crane