httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jez Hancock <jez.hanc...@munk.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] UserDir & DocumentRoot
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:50:13 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:28:56AM -0600, Michael Collins wrote:
> Jez Hancock wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:23:17PM -0600, Michael Collins wrote:
> >>I'm configuring Apache 1.3 on RH 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.7. to be accessible
> >>on the intranet.  I can access the default index.html with
> >>http://10.0.69.90/
> >>However, I can not access the user's pages at
> >>/home/~mcollins/www/index.html
> >>with http://10.0.69.90/~mcollins/
> >>The error message is:
> >>Forbidden, You don't have permission to access /~mcollins/ on this server.
> >>
> >>In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
> >>I have :
> >>ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"
> >>DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
> >>UserDir   /home/*/www
> >><Directory /home/*/www>
> >>	Options All
> >></Directory>
> >>
> >>I set:
> >>chmod 755 www
> >>chmod 755 index.html
> >

> >What does your apache error log say?
> >
> The /etc/httppd/logs/error_log reports:  .... File does not exists:
> /var/www/html/~

How about if you change the UserDir line to:

UserDir www

and then restart - this was going to be my original suggestion, but
after reading the manual I was surprised to find out you could actually
specify a wildcard string as the UserDir argument - as you have it
above.

Just for kicks, you could also try commenting out the UserDir line, restart
apache and then copy /home/mcollins/www/ to /home/mcollins/public_html -
then see if you can access the files via http://1.2.3.4/~mcollins/ - by
default the UserDir is enabled and set to 'public_html' iirc.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/