httpd-users mailing list archives

From Destry Jaimes ...@swicked.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Hosting your own website...
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 04:19:53 GMT
It's probably not advisable to run apache on your local machine because "home" users may not
know exactly how to secure it properly. If you do want to run your site from home, get another
machine to act as your web server. I have been hosting our site ( http://etlug.org ) from
my home for a while. DynDNS.org can help you as far as keeping your IP up to date if your
ISP uses dynamic IPs. They are who I've registered our domain with and they also keep up with
my changing IP address. To do this, you'll probably have to use an update client, which you
can also find on their site. Some hardware routers have a dyndns client built in so you may
want to check on that.
The main thing is to make sure it's secure, and, like I said, you may want to consider running
a dedicated machine just for your web server.
Hope this helps

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:11:16 -0800 (PST)
fox mulder <raxian@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I read on some apache posts that it isn't advisable to
> host your own site on  your local machine. I was
> wondering, if you wanted to, what would the steps be
> to do this? My domain is registered on registerfly. Do
> I add my ip address to their dns listing? I am behind
> a router on DSL and I doubt a DHCP address would work.

"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither."
		-- Thomas Jefferson