httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nickolas Winters <nickolaswint...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] why is autoindex listing files with mode 700?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:42:52 GMT
I used to use a Linux system back in school that worked in the following way...

When a list was autoindexed by apache (like, if you did not have an index.html
file, but only a bunch of other files in the directory), it would only display
files which has world read permissions.

Example: Two files. file1 and file2
chmod 755 file1
chmod 700 file2

when i go to the url I would only see file1. Directories worked the same way,
they would not appear on the list unless world read permissions were set
(though you could still access files within if world execute was set and you
knew path to the file you wanted).

I found it very useful to be able to simply use chmod to put up and take down
shared content quickly and easily without having to copy or move anything.

Now on my new installation, 1.3 (same version as the old system) under the same
conditions, i see both files (though not able to view the second one, it will
still appear in the list). Directories work the same way, you can see them but
not access them.

I'd like to know how to make my new system behave in the way that I'm familiar
with, but I'm not sure how. I've read all the documentation I could find,
autoindex module documents, asked on several forums, and asked system admins I
know, but none of them were able to help me (I even read the over-my-head
source code for the autoindex module). Alot of times responses I get in forums
is that it's plain impossible or that I was mistaken about how my old system
was working, but I am absolutely certain this is how the functionality worked
on the old system i used (actually I used 4 different unrelated linux servers
that all behaved this way).

If it helps, the old system was RedHat (unknown version) with 1.3, and the new
is Slackware 9.1 with 1.3

Could anyone give me any idea how I could make my new system work that way or
why the old system might have worked that way by default?

Any insight you can give me would helpful. Thank you!

-Nick