httpd-users mailing list archives

From sysadm...@ENHTECH.COM
Subject [users@httpd] Unusual httpd behaviour?
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:08:54 GMT
Hi all,

I am running httpd 2.0.48 on RH Enterprise 3. We are also running PHP 4.3.4 and
the sites running on this box make heavy use of it.
We are experiencing some very wierd behavior related to a php script that we
have created that converts document formats such as word, excel and pdf's to
html and text. The scripts call out components of the wvWare Tool kit to work.
Because of a wvWare bug related to long path names, our script takes a document
and places it /tmp then runs it through wvText. An intermediate html file is
created in the process wv$$.html. The intermediate file is processed by lynx
dump which produces just plain old text. The behaviour that we are experiencing
that does not occur when we

#1 Run the same commands used in our php script on the document

#2 Process the php script through the php command line interpretor

That behaviour is is where the script looks for the location of the
intermediate html file that has to be processed by lynx. Somehow the
webserver/php starts looking for the intermediate file in /root as opposed
to /tmp. This is evident by web server log entries such as:

/root/: No such directory
/root/: No such directory
/root/: No such directory
cat: write error: Broken pipe
/root/: No such directory
/root/: No such directory
/root/: No such directory
/root/: No such directory
/root/: No such directory
cat: write error: Broken pipe
/root/: No such directory
/root/: No such directory

Also, I can get the script to work (from the web server) if I link /root
to /tmp.
Please forgive me if you feel I should be looking for answers on a diferent
mailing list. Like I said, since it runs fine from the command line through the
php command line interpretor and also just running the wvWare commands
themself, I figured it may be an issue in how I have the server configured?
If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Errol Neal