httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Hannan" <matthew.j.han...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Permissions question
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:55:02 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Gration [mailto:richard@zync.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 5:49 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Permissions question

Matt Hannan wrote:
> I have a main web site that I maintain (set that up as Name virtual,
> also) and do not mind buggering around with flipping files from my XP
> client to my Linux server via assorted SAMBA shares.
>
> The issue is that I have a roommate, who the second site is for, and I

> do not think she can handle the file flipping that has become nearly
> second nature to me.
>
> I have the /var/www set as a share in SAMBA, but I have never been
> able to make edits directly to it. Now that she is onboard with making

> a web site, I want to make it as easy as pie for her, hence being able

> to write to the SAMABA share in her web sites directory.

You leave some details out, but I'm guessing you have security=share
rather than security=user? If I'm right, then I can help. If not, then I

can't help, 'cos security=user is such a black art :-)

Under security=share, you set a user / group (usually nobody) in
smb.conf which all file operations are done as, you need to make sure
that the owner / group of the samba share matches this user and that
your samba share perms are 775.

HTH
Rich

I am running SAMBA as a PDC, so yeah, it is security=user.
Thanks for the replies, especially the one for 775!!! I saw my SAMBA
permissions were out of skew.