httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joel Parramore" <parramo...@homes.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Will mod_ssl work with Apache 2.0?
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 02:08:12 GMT

mod_perl 2 is to be used with Apache 2 but it's still not production-level,
last reading that I saw.  Also, you only had a choice of a dynamic build ---
static mod_perl was discouraged for some reason that I forget.  It has been
a month or so since I read thru the mod_perl docs, though, so that may have
changed.  I don't know about MySQL, but last reading DBI and DBD::Oracle had
some issues under mod_perl 2.  Go to http://perl.apache.org and hunt around
some --- lots of information there.

mod_rewrite works fine with Apache 2 in my experience thus far (Apache
2.0.48 running under Solaris 9).  I use it compiled as a DSO, but I think
you could compile it in statically with no problems if you want.  If you
haven't used mod_rewrite before, here's a good reference:
http://www.engelschall.com/pw/apache/rewriteguide/

You can use mod_jk or mod_jk2 to connect Apache and Tomcat.  I've used both
under Solaris 8 and 9 and RH Linux, using Apache 2.0.4x (x == 5,6,7,8).  I
find the documentation on mod_jk2 to be maddeningly fragmented and
incomplete, though it appears to work well enough.  mod_jk2 is supposed to
be more efficient for use, but evaluate both for yourself.  I've used both
compiled as DSOs to be loaded by Apache.  If you build from source and want
some docs on configuring mod_jk or mod_jk2, you might want to look at these:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=105103815630094&w=2,
http://raibledesigns.com/tomcat/, http://www.cardon.biz/docs/tomcat/

DSO versus static... generally, I'll compile modules as DSOs, just to have
the flexibility of configuring the server without recompiling.  Some modules
may require that they be compiled in the Apache binary --- that you'll have
to research further for particular modules (which is part of what you're
asking, I know).  If you have the memory on your system(s) and you know that
you'll always use a set of modules, you wouldn't gain anything by having
those as DSOs, I think.  If you're not sure, compile (if possible) as DSOs
and work with the server setup until you're satisfied that nothing breaks,
then compile those modules in statically and compare stability, performance,
memory usage, etc..

Regards,
Joel