httpd-users mailing list archives

From "j.travis" <sky...@psinode.com>
Subject [users@httpd] HostnameLookups
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:02:30 GMT
I have read that it is a performance liability to have HostnameLookups
turned on.  What I am wondering is will Apache2 do a
HostnameLookup -before- it responds to a request? (in which case that
could indeed be a very big liability) or does it do it independently of
requests (but just sometime before it gets logged). If this is the case
it seems like it would be only a slight overall use of bandwidth and a
very miniscule performance hit.  It certainly makes the log files more
interesting to browse through...