httpd-users mailing list archives

From "j.travis" <sky...@psinode.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] first attempt at Apache configuration
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:38:37 GMT
The basic issue I have with upgrading the RedHat Apache is: --- should
you try and slip it in just like RedHat does? Or should you choose your
own structure?---  An interesting excercise is to open up  the src.rpm
file and check out the SPEC file for specifics on how RedHat compiles
Apache.

Getting it to work with SSL is the trickiest part for me.  I opted to
install a whole new OpenSSL instead of trying to make it work with the
default package.  Included below are instructions for a static compile.
If anyone has specific compile instructions to make it work as a shared
module with the default openssl  package please feel free to post them!

---------------------------------------
cd /tmp
wget http://somewhere.../openssl-0.9.7c.tar.gz
tar -zxvf openssl-0.9.7c.tar.gz
cd /tmp/openssl-0.9.7c
./Configure linux-elf --prefix=/home/zebra
make
make install

cd /tmp
wget http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.0.47.tar.gz
tar -zxvf httpd-2.0.47.tar.gz
cd /tmp/httpd-2.0.47
./configure --prefix=/home/zebra --enable-ssl=static --with-ssl=/home/ze
bra/bin
make
make install

------------------------------

cd /home/zebra/test-apache
/home/zebra/bin/openssl genrsa -rand /var/log/messages -out server.key
1024
/home/zebra/bin/openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
/home/zebra/bin/openssl x509 -req -days 730 -in server.csr -signkey
server.key -out server.crt

------------------------------
TEST apache no ssl
-------------------------------
cat > /home/zebra/test-apache/httpd.conf << "EOF"

ServerRoot "/home/zebra/test-apache"
User nobody
Group nobody
Listen 80
ServerAdmin you@your.address
ServerName localhost:80
UseCanonicalName Off
DocumentRoot "/home/zebra/htdocs"
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
DefaultType text/plain
HostnameLookups Off
ErrorLog /home/zebra/test-apache/error_log
LogLevel debug
ServerSignature On

EOF

--------------------------------
TEST apache with ssl
-------------------------------
cat > /home/zebra/test-apache/httpd.conf << "EOF"
SSLEngine on
ServerRoot "/home/rabbit"
User nobody
Group nobody
Listen 443
ServerAdmin you@your.address
ServerName localhost
UseCanonicalName Off
DocumentRoot "/home/rabbit/htdocs"
DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
DefaultType text/plain
HostnameLookups Off
ErrorLog logs/error_log
LogLevel debug
ServerSignature On
SSLCertificateFile /home/zebra/test-apache/server.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /home/zebra/test-apache/server.key
SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +CompatEnvVars +StrictRequire
SSLMutex sem
SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
SSLSessionCache none
EOF

/home/zebra/bin/httpd -f /home/zebra/test-apache/httpd.conf