httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Chuck Ouellette" <ch...@wncg.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache will not start...
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:37:30 GMT
Your error messages are telling you that the document root folders
(Directories) don't exist, be sure your httpd.conf file is pointing to
the correct document root folder. Also try running "apachectl
configtest" this will tell you if you have errors in your httpd.conf
file. If you recompiled apache for the SSL portion it will also tell you
if you are looking at the correct httpd.conf file. (In the event you
didn't set the --with-layout=  option. You need to be sure that the
sysconfdir setting is pointing to where you store your configuration
files.

One final note instead of using the /sbin/service startup try the
"apachectl start" or "apachectl startssl" commands.  This should be
located in apache's home directory under bin IE:
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl  .

C.O.

-----Original Message-----
From: Claritinet.com [mailto:blairacampbell@shaw.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 7:01 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] apache will not start...

Help,

I have been trying unsuccessfully to start my apache 2 server. I have
tried:
[root@localhost root]# /sbin/service httpd start
Starting httpd: Warning: DocumentRoot [/var/cgi-bin/sixfoot/] does not
exist
Warning: DocumentRoot [/var/www/html/herbalifestore4u/] does not exist
Warning: DocumentRoot [/var/www/html/sam/] does not exist
Warning: DocumentRoot [/var/www/html/freezonemedia/] does not exist
Warning: DocumentRoot [/var/www/html/sam/] does not exist
                                                           [FAILED]

[root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep httpd
httpd-manual-2.0.40-21
httpd-2.0.40-21
redhat-config-httpd-1.0.1-18
[root@localhost root]# ps aux | grep httpd
[root@localhost root]# ps aux | grep httpd
root      3438  0.0  0.1  3572  628 pts/2    S    03:22   0:00 grep
httpd
[root@localhost root]#

I get no error messages just [failed.] There is nothing in the error log
file. Everything was running just fine. I was making chages to try and
get
ssl running. The last thing I did was edit the ssl.conf file. I
restarted
apache and it would not start again. I have put back in the httpd.conf
file
that worked yesterday. I tested httpd.conf and I got no errors also.

I google searched and found no help. What gets me is I am getting no
error
messages of any sort.

Help

Blair