httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Henry" <he...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache2 crashing at the same time everyday
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:29:17 GMT

I have a webserver running Slackware Linux and Apache2.  For the most part, things are running
very smoothly. Every couple of days, sometimes two days in a row (like today and yesterday),
 Apache is crashing at 6:31AM Pacific time.   But sometimes it will go a few days straight
without crashing.   There is no indication in the error_log - it just crashes.   It's done
this about 10 times at 6:31AM - but yesterday it happened at 6:26AM (first time NOT at 6:31AM).
 Sometimes, I'm able to restart it, but today I had to reboot the server to get it running
again. This is the only clue I get in the error_log file:

[Thu Feb 12 06:37:50 2004] [warn] pid file /usr/local/apache2/logs/httpd.pid overwritten --
Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?

I did see one item in the FAQ/docs that talked about Apache crashing during log rotation,
but that was for an old version of RedHat - which would cause a a SIGHUP error in the logs,
but I don't think that's what's happening here.

   I realize it is difficult to diagnose this problem without more info, but where can I start
looking for clues as to why it is crashing?

Thanks,

-Hank