httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Mangin" <jon.man...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem of Apache2 on Solaris 2.8 :: Need some help
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:25:03 GMT
This sounds familiar. Below is Owen Boyle's response to
my question 2 days ago, thereby saving him the trouble.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tosapol Prachayasompong" <tosapolp@yahoo.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 4:09 AM
Subject: [users@httpd] Problem of Apache2 on Solaris 2.8 :: Need some help

> Dear sir:
> I download source of apache 2.0.48 compile with
> gcc-2.95.2(download from www.sunfreeware.com) I can
> compile and install all of it. with option below.
> =====
> ./configure --enable-so --enable-vhost-alias
> --disable-userdir
> =====
> When I run "apachectl start" it's can start. After
> that I use IE access to my box. It's not show anything
> and error.log show below
> =====
> ld.so.1:/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd: fatal:
> relocation error: file /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd:
> symbol apr_table_compress: referenced symbol not found
> =====
> My System
> Sun Enterprise 250
> 512 MB Memory
> 16 GB Hdd.
> Solaris 2.8
> gcc 2.95.2
> Apache 2.0.48
> Please help me to correct this error.
> Best Regards
> Tosapol

This type of problem arises when you compile an application with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to allow the compiler to find the libraries, but
then try to run the binary from a shell where LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set
differently (or not set at all).

Check what LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set when you compiled (you did
cut'n'paste all your commands into a file for later reference, didn't
you?) and set it the same in the shell you start apache from.

If you don't want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (some people think it is evil:
http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html), then set LDFLAGS before
compiling. This will build the paths into the binary so apache will
always be able to find its libs. Of course, if you later move the libs,
apache will be lost again. Example from my last compile:

# This avoids LD_LIBRARY_PATH by building in the paths so they are used
# at runtime.
setenv LDFLAGS "-R/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:${INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib"