httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Mangin" <jon.man...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] fatal: relocation error
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:20:54 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Boyle@swx.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 3:20 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] fatal: relocation error

This type of problem arises when you compile an application with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to allow the compiler to find the libraries, but
then try to run the binary from a shell where LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set
differently (or not set at all).

If you don't want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (some people think it is evil:
http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html), then set LDFLAGS before
compiling. This will build the paths into the binary so apache will
always be able to find its libs. Of course, if you later move the libs,
apache will be lost again. Example from my last compile:

# This avoids LD_LIBRARY_PATH by building in the paths so they are used
# at runtime.
setenv LDFLAGS "-R/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:${INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib"

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Hmmm. I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/profile. I got that error
immediately, though I did extend LLP into your scenario when
trying to _fix_ it. It appears, however, that mod_perl doesn't
want to be a DSO on my platform (Sol8x86). Thanks for the info,
I'll pay more attention next time.
--Jon