httpd-users mailing list archives

From "testic" <tes...@testic.demon.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] SuExec with Apache-2.0.48 PHP-4.3.4 (DSO) - problems changing UID
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 20:53:30 GMT
Hi all.

As you can see from the subject I am trying to establish a system that uses
suexec. I currently have PHP running as a DSO, which works fine, except now
I am at the point where file permissions are emerging as an issue. So, first
question: Looking at the Apache documentation for suexec, it describes it as
a system to be used with CGI, as I am using PHP as a module rather than a
CGI would use of suexec apply?

Without an answer to this question I ploughed on and compiled in suexec
regardless, which appeared to go without a hitch (no compile errors for
example). However, only one of my virtual hosts will run, others get a
permission error when accessed from a browser ("You don't have permission to
access / on this server."), and it seems that suexec is failing to switch
users.

Googling for informative unfortunatley, or perhaps other people having the
same problem,  didn't turn anything up.

I have Apache configured to run as user 'www.public' outside of all the
VirtualHost containers so as to have this as the 'default' site, it is this
site that runs without errors, which would indicate the suexec isnt
switching UID for virtual hosts for some reason, and hence runs into
permission problems when trying to access files for other sites.

I checked the commandline used for compiling to make sure I had the
correct --with-suexec-caller and I do, also the permissions for the suexec
binary itself are set correctly, I tried chmod of both 'root' and
'www.public' to no avail. Unfortunatley I don't have a suexec_log file
despite setting one with --with-suexec-logfile, does this logfile only get
created when the first suexec transaction takes place perhaps, hence it not
being created?

I checked all the permission for the filesystem, they are fine. I checked my
SuexecUserGroup directives in httpd.conf, they are fine.

If it makes any difference I am using a GNU/Linux machine which started off
as RedHat 7.1, kernel is 2.4.2-20.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be of great assistance
to me, and thankyou for your time.

Regards,

testic