httpd-users mailing list archives

From patrick.od...@co-operativebank.co.uk
Subject [users@httpd] Directive explanations
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:50:46 GMT
Before acting on this e-mail or opening any attachment, you are advised to read the disclaimer
at the end of this mail.

Hi,
I am using Apache on the iSeries (AS400), there is a GUI that generates the
httpd.conf file. I am trying to get a better understanding of what the Apache
directives mean and how they work in the generated httpd.conf file. I have found
some directive explanations on the Apache site, I am wondering if there are any
recommended websites/books?

Some of the questions I have are:
Q1. What are these LogFormat directives and what are the various parameters here
e.g. %h, %>s, {Referer} etc.

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
LogFormat "%{Cookie}n \"%r\" %t" cookie
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer

Q2. Where can I get the details on what goes into the access_log created by this
CustomLog directive? I can see there is loads of useful info in the logs. There
are error_log files created also.

CustomLog logs/access_log combined

How are these logs normally administered? Are there programs that look through
these logs and sent alerts based on the content etc..?

Q3. What do these directives do?
SetEnvIf "User-Agent" "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
SetEnvIf "User-Agent" "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0
SetEnvIf "User-Agent" "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0
SetEnvIf "User-Agent" "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0
SetEnvIf "User-Agent" "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive
SetEnvIf "User-Agent" "MSIE 4\.0b2;" force-response-1.0

Q4. I read the following protects the server:

<Directory />
   Order Deny,Allow
   Deny From all
</Directory>

I read that the Order statement says Allow all access to the Server Root
directory by default. Then the Deny seems to say, override the Allow and Deny
all users access to the Server Root directory? How do Order and Deny/Allow work?
Do the directories below the Server Root inherit from the Server Root?

There is a further <Directory> tag that sets Allow From all for the Document
Root directory.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee and is strictly confidential. If you are
not the addressee, please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it
or any attachments. Instead please e-mail it back to the sender and delete the message from
your computer.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free and The Co-operative Bank
accepts no liability for changes made to this e-mail (and any attachments) after it was sent
or for viruses arising as a result of this e-mail transmission.

Any unauthorised reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution
and/or publication of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.

The Co-operative Bank reserves the right to intercept any e - mails or other communication
for permitted purposes in accordance with the current legislation which you send to, or receive
from, any of the employees or agents of the Bank via Bank telecommunication systems. By so
corresponding you also give your consent to the Bank monitoring and recording of any correspondence
using these systems.

The Co-operative Bank p.l.c. is registered in England and Wales, number 990937. The registered
office is at PO Box 101, 1, Balloon Street, Manchester, M60 4EP.