httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Hannan" <matthew.j.han...@verizon.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Permissions question
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:49:15 GMT
Apache rocks. Apache is great. I love Apache.
Heck, I have Apache blood in my Irish veins!

But....
I have a, hopefully, simple question.

I set up my first virtual host the other night and realized I had an
issue.

I have a main web site that I maintain (set that up as Name virtual,
also) and do not mind buggering around with flipping files from my XP
client to my Linux server via assorted SAMBA shares.

The issue is that I have a roommate, who the second site is for, and I
do not think she can handle the file flipping that has become nearly
second nature to me.

I have the /var/www set as a share in SAMBA, but I have never been able
to make edits directly to it. Now that she is onboard with making a web
site, I want to make it as easy as pie for her, hence being able to
write to the SAMABA share in her web sites directory.

I refuse to believe that I am the only knucklehead running a Win client
and a Linux backend armed with Apache.

Please, because I really am at a loss, do I set write access to the
/var/www on the Linux server file system, or thru SAMBA? I have tried
both and get negative results. If I set the file system permissions to
777, which I am obviously loathe to do!!, I can do this, but I do want
to maintain at least a sense of security on my web server!!!

Thanks.
Matt