httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ola Ogunneye" <OOgun...@adventisthealthcare.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Versions...
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:30:54 GMT
I have installed 2.0.47 and I am having problems with some of my images
not showing for one reason or the other. So a friend told me to just
install 1.3.29 saying that he never had a problem with it..

In that case, does that mean I can install the 1.3.29 without
uninstalling the 2.0.47, and secondly, what version of PHP would I be
using for the 1.3.29 I would think 4.3.4 is not compatible?

Thanks

Ola

>>> robert@profundis.nu 01/19/04 09:20AM >>>
Ola Ogunneye wrote:
> Can someone please tell me why if version 2.0.48 is the latest
stable
> version of Apache, is 1.3.29 available?

Apache 1.3 and 2.0 are different branches and live their own lifes, and
are
not API compatible. Apache 1.3 is more stable (because no new features
are
added to it) and has more modules available for it, why it is prefered
by
some.

> Is 1.3.29 recommended for certain people or why are they both in
> existence.

I would only recommend Apache 1.3 for people that needs modules not
yet
available for 2.0. Some would also argue that PHP doesn't play too well
with
Apache 2.0, but I am yet to see that for myself.

Migrating to 1.3 -> 2.0 is not painless, and in some cases not
possible.
Since so many still use Apache 1.3 it is still maintained.

Regards,
Robert Andersson