httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Obeda (ACM)" <pdob...@acm.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 (WinXP) and McAfee Firewall compatible?
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:54:30 GMT
I have installed Apache (2.0.48), and appear to be having the
"traditional" problems with (McAfee) firewall interactions.  I'm
running Windows XP (patches updated at least monthly).

In particular, I get a continuous set of the following messages
dropped into my error log (with the level set to "debug"), after
the multiple threads are launched:
[Wed Jan 21 06:42:22 2004] [debug] child.c(547): (OS 10038)An operation was attempted on something
that is not a socket.  : winnt_accept: AcceptEx failed due to early client disconnect. Reallocate
the accept socket and try again.

There are a number of prior bug reports in the database dealing
with similar problems (some with slightly different text, but the
same basic issue being reported), and a thread under McAfee's
support forums also dealing with it.  No pages get served up,
although there is evidence that the TCP/IP connection is established
(stopping the server drops the connection to the client).

Bug Report # 8325 appears to have addressed this for 2.0.44, with
the following text in the changelist:
*) Resolve the error "An operation was attempted on something
     that is not a socket.  : winnt_accept: AcceptEx failed.
     Attempting to recover." for users of various firewall and
     anti-virus software on Windows.  PR 8325  [William Rowe]

But ... the problem appears to persist (reports have continued on
various releases).  Two work-arounds have been suggested:
1) Remove (uninstall & reboot) the firewall product, or
2) Use the 1.3.xx server instead of the 2.0.yy server.

Is there a fix available?  Was this fixed and re-broken?  Is an
actual fix still being pursued?  Is there any updates from either
Microsoft or McAfee that anyone is aware of (I can't find any).
Is there another option than the two listed above?

Also, there had been a comment that something was going to be
added to the FAQ for (in)compatibility; I don't find any such
mention.  Has it been dropped, or is it hidden?

Regards,

Paul O.
pdobeda@acm.org