httpd-users mailing list archives

From "CUTMAN ~CW~" <cutma...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] encoding problem
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:49:19 GMT

>Pedro Salgueiro wrote:
>>Hi.
>>
>>I have made a script in php that calls a java program.
>>This java program will make a connection to a
>>PostgreSQL db and do some operations. That java
>>program works just fine if I run it on a console, but
>>when it is php to run it gives errors related to the
>>charset encoding.
>>The error that apears in "error.log" is the following:
>>
>>Java.sql.SQLException: ERROR:  Could not convert UTF-8
>>to ISO8859-1
>>
>>I think that the problem is than Apache or PHP is
>>runing the java program with UTF-8 encoding, while it
>>should be running with iso8859-1.
>>
>>Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>Pedro Salgueiro.
>
>What about doing the "operations" with php?  It seems to me that it would
>be much faster and less complex to do that.
>

>--
>Aaron W Morris <aaronmorris@mindspring.com> (decep)

I'd have no clue about how to solve the problem cause I don't know what I'm
doing, but I found this in my Apache .conf file..

# Specify a default charset for all pages sent out. This is
# always a good idea and opens the door for future internationalisation
# of your web site, should you ever want it. Specifying it as
# a default does little harm; as the standard dictates that a page
# is in iso-8859-1 (latin1) unless specified otherwise i.e. you
# are merely stating the obvious. There are also some security
# reasons in browsers, related to javascript and URL parsing
# which encourage you to always set a default char set.
#
#AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

and these 2 lines too:
AddCharset ISO-8859-1  .iso8859-1 .latin1
AddCharset UTF-8       .utf8

Maybe you have something like it.  You think it does anything?  I was scared
to mess with it cause some things seem to be working for me.

HTH,
Scott