httpd-users mailing list archives

From "CUTMAN ~CW~" <cutma...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] post & ssi possible?
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:44:33 GMT
>...It seems that the get method will work fine but not post. This is btw on
>a server that I purchase hosting from, not one of my own.
>
>The question is, is there a way to use post with an html (shtml) file that
>does an exec cgi?

I have something running that implements what you describe.  It's probably
not the same design but I think it would probably be the same thing in the
end..  It goes like this.

You visit http://boo.foo.com/index.html and you're reading around reading
reading reading and you see the link to "drop us an email" for example..  so
that link is http://boofoo/cgi-bin/shootmail.exe..  okay, you see that?
There is no posting or getting at that point but we're already into cgi..
but you go to it which in turn that program spits out the page that will
become displayed(which is a form-based html page which has method="POST" in
it).. -so the form itself is really dynamic content..  anyhow, the page is
designed to be spit out in a manner to where it ALSO spits out an SSI
command that shows a pic of the current weather in my front yard caused by a
closed circuit video feed or something... hehe.. whatever.. but the page
that becomes viewed I would describe exactly as an shtml page with form
method of POST..-and well it's a cgi..

now couldn't you really say that page is an .shtml page?  I guess if you
can, then this is pretty much what you describe with a bit of twisting
though.

I hope this isn't too irrelevant for you but it might give you some
different perspective in a design..  I can think if your cgi displays the
page itself from the beginning real quick before it prepares to receive the
posted data, then you've got all kinds of rights once you're at that point..
  I'm using C cgi's and I just simply embed the shtml into the program as
one of it's functions..  -I don't know, I'd guess if you're changing the
shtml that would have form data in it, then you're probably needing to
change the cgi as well to be able to match up the post data variables and
such.. -seems to be interesting to just have it all in one place..

If you're writing the forms and cgi's yourself then it should be no problem
to do this.. -I guess if not then who knows..  -But, I definately don't know
how to comment about the way you mentioned.  I'd be interested in it though.

HTH,
Scott