httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Cannot get per-user CGI directories to work
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:52:16 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Donald Murray wrote:

> Does anyone have per-user CGI directories working?

Yes.

> I have already succeeded in getting users' pages served from
> /opt/www/users/mylogin/html, but cannot get CGIs to work in
> /opt/www/users/mylogin/html/cgi-bin.
>
> I placed foo.cgi in /var/www/cgi-bin:
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
> print "Hello, World.\n";
>
> This works fine. When I copy foo.cgi to /opt/www/users/mylogin/html/cgi-bin/
> and try to run it, I get a 500 error: 'Premature end of script headers'.

Are you using suexec?  If your answer is "I don't know", then you probably
are using it, but you shouldn't be.  Find the suexec binary and delete it.
It impliments some very strict security requirements that you are almost
certainly failing by moving your user directories out of /home.

For info on suexec, see:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/suexec.html

Joshua.