httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Getting Started With Virtual Hosts
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:13:16 GMT

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, David Blomstrom wrote:

> --- Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> >
> > The ServerName is what apache uses to choose the
> > site to serve.  It must
> > EXACTLY match what you type into the URL bar of your
> > web browser (which
> > must, in turn, be mapped to your webserver through
> > DNS or other means).
> >
> > Joshua.
>
> Hmmmmmm...
>
> To preview the website that's currently in my htdocs
> folder, I type in http://localhost/geobop/index.php
>
> Just to make sure I've got this right, does that make
> my server name
> "http://localhost/geobop/index.php" ?

Sorry, not THAT exact.  It meant exactly the hostname you type in the URL
bar.  But it seems there is some confusion about what you are trying to
accomplish...

> But after I get my virtual server set up, that will
> change to http://localhost/geoworld/index.php, right?
>
> Also, you wrote, "which must, in turn, be mapped to
> your webserver through DNS or other means."
>
> Is that something I have to do, or is automatically
> mapped by Apache or something else?

If you are accessing both "sites" under the hostname "localhost", then you
do not want to do virtual hosting.  Virtual hosting is for hosting
different hostnames on the same server.

Most likely what you want is simply an Alias, as in

Alias /geoworld c:/sites/geoworld

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/urlmapping.html

Joshua.