httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 + Windows 2000 Server SP4 + Adaptec RAID array = "DocumentRoot must be a directory"
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:05:48 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 iain.cunningham@architecta.co.uk wrote:
> DocumentRoot "E:/intranet/test"
>
> and made the appropriate change in the <Directory "..."> section.
>
> I tested the httpd.conf file with "apache -t" and it checked out ok, so
> I restarted the service, went to http://127.0.0.1 and promptly got a
> "File not found error".  I then noticed that Apache was not running as a
> service any more.  Checking the system error log showed an error stating
> that "DocumentRoot must be a directory" (but "E:/intranet/test" IS a
> directory!).

I'm not a win32 apache expert, but I believe the most common cause of this
problem is that the user under which the apache service is running doesn't
have access to the network drives.  In particular, the default LocalSystem
user cannot access the network.  You can change this from the win32
services configuration screen.

(You can verify if this is the problem by shutting down the service and
launching apache manually from the command line.)

Joshua.