httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re[2]: [users@httpd] Adding svn dbses without apache restart
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:24:32 GMT

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Václav Krpec wrote:
> JS> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, [Windows-1250] Václav Krpec wrote:
> >> I'd be glad if I must not restart
> >> the server each time I add/remove a db (they are beeing
> >> added by inserting a <Location> directive into httpd.conf).
>
> JS> What's the problem with restarting the server?  If you use a graceful
> JS> restart, there is essentially no effect on clients.
>
> I know, but our company plan to offer hosting service with use of
> svn database for each user; with hundreds (thousands?) of users =>
> hundreds of <Location> directives in the config-file, how long will
> the restart take?

The graceful restart is instantaneous from the client's perspective.  Of
course, it will increase load on the server since all the processes need
to be recycled.  You wouldn't want to do it thousands of times per day.

> That's one thing, the another is that I really don't
> think that it's impossible to map new dirs in run-time (AliasMatch
> directive does it, don't it?).

That is a question for SVN people.  [...Checks the SVN docs...]
It looks to me like what you want is SVNParentPath:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch06s04.html#svn-ch-6-sect-4.2

It's amazing what you can find by reading the docs ;-)

> >> Why can't I place the <Location> directive into a .htaccess
> >> file?
>
> JS> Because <Location> works on URLs and .htaccess works on filesystem
> JS> locations and there is not necessarily a direct mapping between them.
>
> I see. But why it's impossible?

Because there is no necessary mapping between URL and filesystem.  An
.htaccess file in the foo/ directory does not necessarily have control
over the foo/ URL space, so it would not be appropriate to allow a
location directive controlling foo/.  (You don't want .htaccess files
controlling parts of the URL space that they don't have rights to manage.)

Joshua.