httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxy HTTP and HTTPS without VHosts
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:03:55 GMT

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, James Hurne wrote:
> So, what I want is to have Apache listen for both HTTP
> and HTTPS connections, and handle the HTTPS
> connections for our web applications, and the
> non-HTTPS connections for Sametime to allow it to
> tunnel over HTTP on port 443.

No, I don't believe that is possible.  Each port/IP combination must be
dedicated either to HTTP or HTTPS, since the connections for the two types
of protocols are setup in very different ways.  This is not a problem
specific to apache.

You could host one server on 443 and one on 442, but you may still end up
with problems with firewalls.

It sounds to me like you need to talk to the firewall maintainers either
at your site or at your clients' sites.

Joshua.