httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Yau" <b...@cardcommerce.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_ssl setup problem
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:40:58 GMT

> the certificate but the howto mentions that I have to use a script
> /sign.sh to generate the server.crt as a certificate authority, I can't
> find this script. Have searched and found some makefiles associated with
> openssl directories but am not sure if they are similar.
> Position at the moment is  I am a certificate authority and have a
> certificate request but can't generate the server.crt file.
> Tried to look for the source directories as it states
>    "a script named sign.sh is distributed with the mod_ssl
>       distribution (subdir pkg.contrib/). Use this script for signing."
> but am having no luck.

Hey Gordon.
Did the mod_ssl come compiled with your apache ? Or did you download mod_ssl
source?  And what OS are you using?

We're using redhat on an internal web server here.  I checked on it and
there also is no sign.sh

I just downloaded from www.modssl.org the latest modssl source
(2.8.16-1.3.29) and it is  there in the tar file:

mod_ssl-2.8.16-1.3.29/pkg.conrib/sign.sh

So that's one option.

The other is this.  In the HOWTO  it does say you can use the CA.sh or CA.pl
scripts instead of going through all the steps using openssl and sign.sh
Check the beginning of that section and it says:

"How can I create and use my own Certificate Authority (CA)?"
"The short answer is to use the CA.sh or CA.pl script provided by OpenSSL.
The long and manual answer is this:
1. (blah blah)
2. (blah blah)
3. "... script named sign.sh is distributed with the mod_ssl distribution
(subdir pkg.contrib/)..."
4.  (blah blah)

so your other option is checking to see if CA.sh or CA.pl are on your
machine (it was on ours) and then see if you can use those instead.

Good luck.

Ben Yau