httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Fedora Core 1 - Apache 2.0.47-10 - 403 Forbidden - mrtg
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:33:40 GMT

What is the DocumentRoot? How are you attempting to access
/var/www/mrtg?

If your docroot is /var/www/html, then you access
/var/www/html/file.html via URL http://server/file.html therefore it is
impossible to address a file in /var/www/mrtg since it is not under the
docroot.

If your problem is not some path confusion, as described above, then
check that you are editing the correct config file, or, that the apache
that is running is really the one that you are editing (put an obvious
synatx error in the config and try a restart - it should detect it).
You'd be suprised how often people waste time editing one config when
the apache they're running is really a default vendor version reading a
different file.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> The /var/log/httpd/error-log has the following error:
>
> client denied by server configuration: /var/www/mrtg
>
> Well, ok, so I tried the following:
>
> I moved /var/www/mrtg to /var/www/html/mrtg and removed the
> prior alias and
> Directory operator and did the following (shouldn't be
> necessary, but tried
> out of desperation):
>
> <Directory "/var/www/html/mrtg">
> 	Options  Indexes MultiViews
> 	AllowOverride None
> 	Order allow,deny		(also tried deny,allow)
> 	Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Then I did a killall -HUP httpd...still doesn't work.
> I also tried service httpd restart with no improvement.
>
> Interestingly enough, apache refuses to look anywhere, except
> /var/www/mrtg
> for mrtg, even when no references for mrtg exist in httpd.conf!
>
> Making a symlink from /var/www/html does not work, and
> Moving the mrtg folder elsewhere does not work (apache still
> thinks mrtg
> resides in /var/www/mrtg, even when no references to mrtg are
> in the config
> file).
>
> What the heck is going on?  Is there any way around this?  I
> read an earlier
> posting about this same issue on Fedora but did not find a solution:
>
> List: apache-httpd-users <?l=apache-httpd-users&r=1&w=2> Subject: Re:
> [users@httpd] apache "forbidden" error accessing my mrtg files
> <?t=106905250700001&r=1&w=2> From: Luis Moreira <lamoreira ()
> bes ! pt>
> <?a=101653671600001&r=1&w=2> Date: 2003-11-17 16:13:44
> <?l=apache-httpd-users&r=1&w=2&b=200311>
>
> Shawn Iverson
> Technology Associate
> New Castle Community School Corporation
> 765-593-6691