httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache Versions...
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:39:57 GMT

Apache 2 is a complete re-write of the apache code and is fundamentally
different "under-the-hood" from apache 1.3 (Download both, untar and
have a look...). It is quite normal, when such major upgrades are made,
to leave the "old" version available while users have time to evaluate
and test the new version. At this moment, 1.3 is very stable - only
bug-fixing is taking place. Version 2 is less stable (more frequent
upgrades) because this is where the main development work is going on.

> Is 1.3.29 recommended for certain people or why are they both in
> existence.

It depends what you want. If you have an long-existing website using 1.3
and don't need any of the new functionality that comes with 2, you'll
probably be happier staying with 1.3. This is because it's always a lot
of work to convert an existing config to a new version (some directives
have vanished, new ones have appeared and some have changed their
behaviour). Also, you might be using some modules which haven't been
ported to 2.0

If you're starting out with a new site, there's no question that you
should go with apache 2.0.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thank you all