httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rog...@queernet.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Syntax error on specifying separate log files
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:56:20 GMT
> I get this syntax error:  CustomLog takes two or three
> arguments, a file
> name, a custom log format strong or format name and an optional "env-"
> clause
>
> Its weird because this is all I have in the file and its
> almost verbatim
> what the example shows.

The docs say:

Syntax: CustomLog file|pipe format|nickname [env=[!]environment-variable]

The first argument, which specifies the location to which the logs will be
written, can take one of the following two types of values:

file
A filename, relative to the ServerRoot.

pipe
The pipe character "|", followed by the path to a program to receive the log
information on its standard input. Security: if a program is used, then it
will be run as the user who started httpd. This will be root if the server
was started by root; be sure that the program is secure.

The second argument specifies what will be written to the log file. It can
specify either a nickname defined by a previous LogFormat directive, or it
can be an explicit format string as described in the log formats section.

For example, the following two sets of directives have exactly the same
effect:

     # CustomLog with format nickname
     CustomLog logs/access_log common

     # CustomLog with explicit format string
     CustomLog logs/access_log "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b"

The third argument is optional and controls whether or not to log a
particular request based on the presence or absence of a particular variable
in the server environment. If the specified environment variable is set for
the request (or is not set, in the case of a 'env=!name' clause), then the
request will be logged.