httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Schlossnagle <geo...@omniti.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Optimization.
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:04:36 GMT

On Jan 6, 2004, at 11:50 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, George Schlossnagle wrote:
>
> We both agree that KeepAlive can be a problem when you are serving more
> than MaxClients clients.  But this is not the situation faced by the
> vast
> majority of apache users.

True, and I added that caveat at the end.  It does apply to many people
though.  I can't count the number of times I have seen a client come
panicked because their site 'hangs'  under load.  9 times out of 10,
keepalives are the problem.

> In fact, serving more than MaxClients clients
> is a sign that you don't have adequate resources for your webserver.
> (Although you are correct that in some situations, non-prefork
> architectures can serve more clients with the same resources.)

That statement is patently false.  I've worked on sites servicing well
over 100,000 simultaneous (or within a 30 second period) unique users.
Requiring the architecture to support 100000 httpd children is just
unreasonable and bad resource utilization.  If an average object take
100ms to serve and I have 10 objects on  a page, I should be able to
scrape by with 3000 children.  If my page times are lower, I need even
less.  Keepalive leaves alot of expensive resources idle, and is a bad
idea.

> Hence KeepAlive does make sense for the vast majority of apache users
> who
> have adequate resources to serve their expected client load.

Go check any high-volume site if you don't believe me.

> Now, it would be nice if apache would dynamically reduce the
> KeepAliveTimeout when the number of connections neared MaxClients.
> Probably if you asked the developers why the haven't implimented that,
> they'd say you should just increase your server resources to handle the
> load ;-)

No, most experts would recommend disabling keepalives.

George