httpd-users mailing list archives

From <iain.cunning...@architecta.co.uk>
Subject Re: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 + Windows 2000 Server SP4 + Adaptec RAID array = "DocumentRoot must be a directory"
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:30:01 GMT

Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote on 13.01.2004, 22:05:48:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 iain.cunningham@architecta.co.uk wrote:
> > DocumentRoot "E:/intranet/test"
> >
> > and made the appropriate change in the  section.
> >
> > I tested the httpd.conf file with "apache -t" and it checked out ok, so
> > I restarted the service, went to http://127.0.0.1 and promptly got a
> > "File not found error".  I then noticed that Apache was not running as a
> > service any more.  Checking the system error log showed an error stating
> > that "DocumentRoot must be a directory" (but "E:/intranet/test" IS a
> > directory!).
>
> I'm not a win32 apache expert, but I believe the most common cause of this
> problem is that the user under which the apache service is running doesn't
> have access to the network drives.  In particular, the default LocalSystem
> user cannot access the network.  You can change this from the win32
> services configuration screen.
>
> (You can verify if this is the problem by shutting down the service and
> launching apache manually from the command line.)
>
> Joshua.

Thanks,

I will try running from the command prompt to see what happens, but the
RAID array is a local drive installed in the Server box, not a network
resource to the Server.  Also, I made sure that "Everyone" has "read",
"read & execute" and "list folder contents" permissions for all of the
"drive:/intranet/test" directories I have made (and propogated these
permissions to all sub-directories and files), as I thought that it
might be a permissions problem already.

I was thinking about creating an "apache" user as part of the users
group to circumvent the permissions issue, but I saw a few
articles/pages saying that doing so is a VERY bad idea (none of those
documents were newer than 2001 though).  So I'm holding off doing this
until everything else has failed!

Iain