httpd-users mailing list archives

From m...@paycom.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Timeouts / responsiveness issues with Apache
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2004 04:24:26 GMT
This behavior suggests a memory problem. You should never have to "cycle"
your servers. If the memory usage climbs and climbs, your problem is
somewhere else. Do you have too many modules loading as DSO's? Perhaps one
of these is being used more than you anticipated. If you are running ssl,
have you tried compiling it in statically? The PHP module is pretty hefty
and ( in a couple of my cases at least ) caused each of the http threads
to rise from less than a meg each to 4 megs. This quadrupled my memory
usage and required some module rearrangement. During one of these time out
periods, do you have system problems ( error entries in /var/log/messages
)? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

-Matthew Shannon