httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Giuseppe Greco" <giuseppe.gr...@agamura.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Newby Question...
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:06:28 GMT
Hi all,

I've two Red Hat Linux servers running httpd 2.0.40.

One machine servers the web site, while the other one
just provides a secure web interface to my mail server.

Since I've not a fix IP address, I relay on DynDns, so
from outside, the two machines have exactly the same
IP address. Then, I've configured my router so that
requests on port 80 are forwarded to the main server,
while requests on port 443 are forwarded to the mail
server.

Up to here it's all OK. If I try www.agamura.com, I get
my home page, and if I try https://mail.agamura.com, I
get the secure web interface to my mail server.

Now it gets more complicated: The main server hosts
more than one web site (e.g. developer.agamura.com),
so I've defined some virtual hosts

  <VirtualHost *>
  </VirtualHost>

Of course, since I've dynamic IP addresses, I've
disabled SSL on the main server. On the other side,
the mail server just hosts one site (mail.agamura.com),
so even if I've a dynamic IP address, I was able
to enable SSL.

Well, now the question is: How can I automatically
redirect http://mail.agamura.com (alias 10.0.0.1) to
https://mail.agamura.com (alias 10.0.0.2)?

I've tried to define a virtual host in the main
server, and I wrote a small HTML page that simply
redirects to https://mail.agamura.com after 2
seconds.

If I try this from inside, it does work, while if I try
to access http://mail.agamura.com, I always get the home
page (www.agamura.com) - remember, form outside, www, mail,
developer, etc. all have the same IP address.

Does anybody know how can I solve this problem?
Thanks,

Giuseppe Greco

::agamura::

phone:  +41 (0)91 604 67 65