httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSLCertificate strangeness?
Date Sat, 31 Jan 2004 06:06:23 GMT
Andy Moran wrote:

> When I go to foo.org, all is good.. but for some reason, when one goes
> to bar.org, the browser receives the foo.org certificate (and
> thus complains).

That's because what you're trying to do is impossible.  You cannot use
SSL with name-based virtual hosts.  Each SSL vhost must be on a unique
IP:port combination.  This is a fundamental limitation of SSL and HTTP,
it has nothing to do with Apache or any other server implementation.
See the FAQ on modssl.org for the reason why.

Brian