httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron W Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost and Memory Consumption
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:52:27 GMT
Adi Linden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running a server with many VirtualHost sections (6058 right now).
> Each httpd process on the server starts out with using about 61MB of
> memory. If the VirtualHosts are removed, httpd uses only about 3MB, much
> more reasonable.
>
> How can I host this many VirtualHosts on a single server without having
> such significant memory usage per process?
>
> Thanks,
> Adi

Each process is probably not taking 61MB each.  The problem with top and
ps is it does not take into account shared memory.  Some of that memory
is being shared between processes.

If you are using linux, the best way to see how much memory is really
being used (at startup) is shutdown the instances and look at the 2nd
number under the used column in the "free" command.  Start apache and
look at the number again.  Take the difference and you should have
reasonable idea of how much memory apache is using.

NOTE:  Don't look at the first number in the used column....that
includes file cache and some miscellaneous items.  On a well utilized
server, this number will almost always be 100% of memory.